“Franke James is Your Fault?”
by Franke James
Chapter excerpted from Franke James’ book, Banned on the Hill: a true story about dirty oil and government censorship. Available in paperback and ebook formats.
Franke James Is Your Fault?
© 2013 Franke James. Photographs, illustrations and writing by Franke James, MFA. All photos
and illustrations by Franke James except as noted:
• Death of Evidence Rally, July 10, 2012. Cutline and Photo: Fred Chartrand, The Canadian Press
• Row of four inset ‘Death of Evidence’ rally photos, 2012 copyright Michael & Richard Webster.
Courtesy: Evidence for Democracy
• Deformed fish photo by John Ulan, Epic Photography
• Idle No More Protest on Parliament Hill, January 28, 2013. Cutline and Photo, Chris Wattie,
• Calgary City Hall: Brian Falconer, Raincoast Conservation photo and cutline by Chris Bolin
• Calgary City Hall Art for an Oil-Free Coast, photo courtesy Brian Falconer, Raincoast Conservation
• Parliament Hill in Mordor: Parliament Hill photo by Franke James. Background image: Syncrude
2007-12 Photo © 2007 David Dodge, CPAWS
Background Research & Resources:
• ATIP Thomas Marr and Vlatka Ljubenko email exchange, Franke James Is Your Fault?, July 14,
2011; A-2011-00802 (290-291)
• ATIP Scott Heatherington email, Re: Franke James European Art Exhibition Service Request, July 12,
2011; A-2011-01800 (288)
• Parliamentary Committee suddenly destroys drafts of a final report on Tar Sands Pollution. See Canadian Politicians Quietly Cancel 18-Month Investigation Into Tar Sands Pollution, Tear Up Draft
Report, July 2010, page 331
• Idle No More Day of Action Sweeps Turtle Island and Beyond Indian Country, quoted from Today
Media Network, January 28, 2013
• Chilling “Code of Conduct” at Library and Archives Canada: Excerpt from the Writers’ Union of
Canada press release, March 20, 2013
• George Orwell quote from Politics and the English Language, Horizon, April 1946
• Dr. David Schindler quote, Believing in clean oilsands like believing in ‘magic fairies,’ top scientist
says; Tom Spears, Ottawa Citizen, April 13, 2013
• Jean-Bruno Villeneuve Backgrounder on Charter rights, June 13, 2012. A-2012-02002_2012
• No to the Cuts, Public Service Alliance of Canada in the National Capital Region,
“The Harper government’s budget cuts target crucial public services that ensure the health,
safety and well-being of citizens. Affected sectors include food inspection, aviation safety and
security, environmental protection and Employment Insurance. We are all affected by these
Do Not Think about Climate Change: Your views may be a threat to Canada’s security. s. 15 (1)
“The reason I was censored should make all Canadians angry”
Book 2013: Banned on the Hill: a true story about dirty oil and government censorship.
Video 2011: Banned on the Hill (and in Europe!)
Art show 2011: Victory! Banned on the Hill Opening in Ottawa
Media Campaign: Crowdfunding Puts Do Not Talk Posters Up in Ottawa, Calgary and Halifax. Banned on the Hill’s Indiegogo Updates 2013- 2014
Comment Policy: Please include your company affiliation if it is relevant. Only your name and the city/town where you live will be published. We reserve the right to edit comments for length. Comments which are abusive or factually incorrect will not be published.
Comments are closed.